“Love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its mark.”
“A child’s first teacher is its mother.”
In 1907, Anna Jarvis was the first mother to hold a Mother’s Day service at Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church in West Virginia. The origins of Mother’s Day as we know it are relatively recent, but early celebrations date back to ancient Greek and Roman festivals. In ancient Greece, people would honour Rhea, the wife of Cronus and mother of the gods. All over Greece, people offered Rhea food, drinks, and flowers. There are more than 50 countries that celebrate this day, though not all of them celebrate it on the same day. In Canada, it will be celebrated on Sunday, May 8th, 2022.
What to say on Mother’s Day?
Keeping it simple is sometimes the best way to express your feelings and love. It can be challenging to put into words just how much your mother means to you. Below are a few examples which can help get you started.
- “I’ll always love you to the moon and back.”
- “I know I don’t say it often enough, but I love you so much.”
- “I’m so lucky to have you as a mom.”
- “Thank you for being the greatest mom in the world.”
- “Raising me took a lot of patience. Thanks for hanging in there with me.”
- “I hope your day is as special as you are.”
- “ You are truly my rock and my best friend.”
- “Wishing you a fabulous Mother’s Day.”
Mother’s Day can be celebrated in a variety of ways, including:
- Giving of greeting cards, flowers, or cakes
- Family gathering
- Mother’s Day poems or messages
- Gifts of chocolates, jewelry, clothes
- A day trip
- Sharing a homemade gift
- Create a family recipe book together
- A day trip to the spa
- Walk in the gardens
Let’s be honest, every mom is unique in their own way, and they certainly rock! It’s only when you get older that you realize how much they know and do for you.
Here are a few examples of what they do without you knowing:
- They always brag about you on social media and upload photos.
- She sends you Valentine’s cards and Easter baskets every year.
- She does your laundry and makes your bed.
- She always forgives you, no matter how much you mess up.
- She likes all your photos on social media.
- She still makes your favourite meal from when you were little.
- She knows how to make you feel better when you are sick.
- She always tells you that you look amazing in every outfit.
- She makes the best homemade costumes.
- She keeps all your homemade gifts from school.
- She is your cheerleader at every event.
- She lets you lick the batter off the spoon when baking.